Friday, June 13, 2008

exaggerated gestures

About half way into term for gesture drawing class our teacher assigned us to exaggerate the gesture in pose, proportion, and style. It was hard for me at first because this was the first time imagination was required. Up until now I was strictly drawing from what i saw, so it was a bit of challenge. Honestly, I thought making up portions of the drawing was a cop-out for "skills" but turns out that it requires more skills than just copying what's in front of you, like you gotta draw from memory and knowledge to make sure the drawing doesn't stray to far away from physical laws as we know it. Plus, it's a lot of fun! It's like adding spices and extra ingredients to an already delicious meal.


I had a hard time coming up with different exaggerations so I naturally drew opposites; skinny vs fat, jumping vs crouching, etc.

No comments: